I grew up in Amite, LA where I experienced a modest country life filled with family, church, and school. My parents and grandparents imparted in me rich values of hard work, wisdom, and education. Those values were the foundation to my academic success and personal success. During my elementary and secondary years, I always maintained a near perfect average, ending my high school career as one of my high school’s valedictorians. My 17 years of academic honors, co-curricular involvement, and community service lead to me receiving over $30, 000 in scholarships.
While I had an inkling growing up, I did not realize until I was in college that what I accomplished was not average for a low-come, minority, first-generation student. I desperately wanted to show everyone that I am not a genius and they could experience the same academic performance as I. While I majored in and love biology, I most enjoyed the times where I was mentoring, tutoring, and collaborating with my peers. I fully submerged myself into the college experience and graduated in under 5 years.
I understood that there was a shortage of minority STEM students and graduates. This is why I pursued a PhD in Science Education. My research was close to my heart. I wanted to know what resources were available outside of the classroom to help students succeed as a STEM major. I found out my answer and then some. My graduate experience opened my eyes to the inequities and systemic failures within secondary and post-secondary education that leads to 50% of Americans not completing their higher education.
My career path and social entrepreneurial endeavors are dedicated to provide innovative solutions, at both the individual and institutional level, to help students access, persist and complete college. I am passionate in empowering others to achieve the same higher education success as I. Higher education transforms students and improves the quality of life multiple generations. For every student that I inspire to persue and complete their higher education, I know that I have impacted their families.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Science/Mathematics Education, 2012, Southern University and A&M College
- Master of Science in Biology, 2010, Southern University and A&M College, Baton Rouge, LA
- Bachelor of Science in Biology, 2007, Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA
- Assistant Provost for Retention and Student Success, Kentucky State University.(2015 – 2016)
- STEM Teaching and Learning Consultant/Program Manager, Louisiana State University. (2011 – 2015)
- Owner, E_Source Learning Solutions (2012 – Present)
- Founder, Preppy College Prep Technology (2016 – Present)
Professional Knowledge & Skills
I bring a multi-dimensional perspective of Higher Education that allows me to solve complex persistence issues through collaboration, leadership, data analysis and strategic planning.
• 11 years of student success research and practice
• Knowledge of teaching and learning strategies
• Execution of engaging academic support programming
• Creation of holistic advising model
• Application of predicative analytics
• Capable of creating initiatives that close socio-economic achievement gaps.
• Created institutional student success strategic plan that increased persistence
• Strong ability to continually push strategic agenda and rally stakeholders in supporting the vision.
• Skilled in allocating and securing resources to support plan implementation
HIGHER EDUCATION ADMINISTRATION
• Institutional policy review and implementation
• Budget proposal and management
• Assessment and evaluation
• Shared governance
• Direct supervision of director-level staff of multiple units
Professional & Service Associations
- Louisiana College Learning Center Association (Charter Member & President)
- National College Learning Center Association
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated
- STEM Sister Summit (Board Member)
- NASPA, Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education